Permanent URI for this community
Browsing Engineering by Title
Now showing 1 - 20 of 420
Results Per Page
- ItemAccessibility Measures to Public Services in Palestinian Cities: The Case of Nablus City(2007) Ghrood Ghaleb Subhee Awadeh; Dr. Khaled Al-Sahili; Dr. Ali AbdelhamidThe distribution and planning of public services is considered one of the major objectives of city planning due to its direct relation with serving residents, meeting their needs, and their accessibility to these services. The Palestinian cities in general and Nablus city in particular are suffering from the random distribution of public services without referring to the planning regulations that are based on population density and range of these services. In addition, there is a difficulty for the inhabitants of some residential districts, especially the outer ones and the suburbs, in accessibility to basic services like education and health. The major aim of this thesis is to study and analyze the current situation of public services in Nablus City as a case study through the application of certain accessibility measures to these services. The methodology of the study was based mainly on the descriptive and analytical methods using the available data and the field survey of public services as well as the results of the questionnaire distributed to a random sample in the city to measure the accessibility and determine the difficulties in access to these services. The results of the study indicated that there is a medium degree of accessibility to public services for most districts in Nablus City except some suburbs like Kufr Qallil, Zawata, and Roujeeb, which face difficulty in access to these services. Also, the results showed that there is a medium degree of difficulty in most districts and a high degree of difficulty in the suburbs to access to public hospitals. For other services like public libraries, banks, and post office, the results indicated that there is a medium degree of difficulty in access to such services from most of districts in the city. The results of the study have referred the difficulty in access to public services in Nablus City to certain factors, the most important being the long distance from public services, traffic congestion, and the absence of public transportation. The study suggested providing certain public services in specified locations in the city of Nablus so that to cover the shortage in distribution of these services throughout the city; and to provide better accessibility for these services to the surrounding neighborhoods. The study recommended the necessity of using the accessibility measures as a basic factor in the planning and distribution of public services in the city. In addition, it recommended the necessity of undertaking a traffic plan for arranging the transportation network, and the provision of public transportation service in Nablus City. Finally, the study recommended the importance of preparing similar studies in other Palestinian cities on the regional scale including the city and its surroundings.
- ItemThe Activation Mechanisms of Community Participation in Architectural and urban Conservation (Case Study of the West Bank)(2009) Ayman Azmi Jubran Saadeh; Dr. Mohammed Ata Yousef; Dr. Iman Al AmadThis study addressed the issue of community participation in architectural and urban conservation projects from both the conceptual and applied theme, through analyze and understand the concept of architectural conservation, the concept of community participation, and analysis of the relation between the two former concepts associated as a multi-disciplinary subject, and also analyzed the interaction of the community and such projects in varying degrees of community participation, through analyzing case studies from outside Palestine, compared with other cases in Palestine. Among many challenges posed by the conservation projects in the theoretical and practical framework, and multiple models on the ground that each conservation project is a particular case. The study aimed to understand the nature of community participation as a relatively new method, and to shed light on the models and theories which examine the theme of community participation, and analysis of the experiences of local conservation in the light of the previous studies and cases. The study concludes that there is a difference in the concept of community participation in conservation projects, but eventually leads to include the citizens in a positive state, and also shows that in general there is no citizen control power among the implementation of projects. Also the study concludes the diversity of the needed objectives of popular participation according to each case, and concludes that the conservation of architectural and urban heritage alive requires the activation of community participation and adopting it as a method for implementation of these projects.
- ItemAdopting a Competency Based Human Resource Management System in Palestine Cellular Communication LTD-JAWWAL(2011) Enas Hamzi Mohammad Hijazeh; Prof. Grace KhouryThe goal of this research is to identify JAWWAL core competencies that will serve as a foundation for a competency based human resource (HR) management system, which for this research will include recruitment and selection, training and development, and performance management for this research. In order to achieve the general objectives of this study, semi-structured interviews and focus groups with JAWWAL directors, managers and supervisors were conducted as well as gathering completed competency based training appraisal forms from direct supervisors of employees who have participated in a competency based training course. Based upon the analysis of responses, which formed 63% of the sample, the following conclusions were drawn: -Eleven core competencies have been identified for JAWWAL employees, derived from JAWWALs mission and vision statements and they will serve as the base for the HR competency system. -JAWWAL will gain many advantages by adopting such a system. First, it will link its employees with the mission and vision statements; second, recruitment and selection will be competency based and not job based which encourages managers and other decision makers to clarify the verifiable, measurable results they expect from successful performers before a selection decision is made. This makes selection methods more effective, which reduces turnover, where, in this study, turnover was reduced by 0.196% during a period of seven months, since the employees who are hired are more likely to do well in jobs or work roles that are matched to their existing or potential competencies. -Competency based training allowed JAWWAL employees to structure their activities and processes in ways that are most meaningful to them. With this approach to training, JAWWAL managers, supervisors and employees are now more able to identify and use many learning resources in diverse settings. JAWWALs competency-based approach to training consistently communicates a common set of performance expectations to every team member. JAWWAL started to focus all training on meeting employees needs that support successful and creative team performance. Competency-based training began to help JAWWAL managers and supervisors keep JAWWAL employees focused on achieving exemplary performance. -It was concluded by the respondents that in a competency based system the process will encourage frank and non-adversarial communication between employees and their managers. It is not unusual for JAWWAL employees to express their concerns in performing work that is not aligned with their strengths or interests. It is not only the less productive employees but often exemplary performers as well, who express these concerns. It also gives JAWWAL employees the opportunity to convey their interests and satisfaction in performing work that is aligned with their competencies. JAWWAL employees' work results will be aligned with achievement of strategic objectives, and this contribution will be identified in specific and usually measurable terms. Work that is identified as nonstrategic can be eliminated; it will allow JAWWAL to use its resources in other more productive ways. A competency-based HR performance management system establishes a work environment at JAWWAL in which the roles, relationships, and responsibilities of both managers and employees are well defined. -Communication of strategic change is the most important strategy that the HR Directorate must work on to ensure success of the competency system JAWWAL is seeking to adopt for HR functions. In conclusion, this study recommends that JAWWALs top management allow the HR Directorate to play an effective strategic role through adopting the competency based human resource management system that will align HR practices with JAWWAL's strategic objectives and employee development efforts as well as to integrate all components of the HR functions across JAWWAL. Key words: JAWWAL, HR Directorate, Core Competencies, Competency Based Human Resource Management System, Recruitment and Selection, Training and Development, and Performance Management.
- ItemAdopting BIM in Palestinian Construction Projects using ADKAR as an Integrative Model of Change Management(An-Najah National University, 2018-12-20) مصلح, خضرThe aim of this research is to examine the BIM status in the West Bank construction projects after introducing its application advantages. Additionally, it utilizes change management and inspects some hypothesis to increase BIM adoption using ADKAR model of change as a framework to replace the traditional engineering methods of work into modern processes in different engineering fields. The buildings sector is considered a major branch of the construction industry, which is primarily the main economical part of any country. Therefore, developing this sector will definitely result in improving the whole country. One of the main engineering processes that enhances the buildings sector is the Building Information Modeling (BIM) used worldwide. The process of BIM adoption will develop the engineering procedure of work for the construction projects to be constructed with the required quality at the minimum cost and least duration. The researcher studied several related books and researches to enlarge his vision, knowledge and information for the purpose of successfully completing this thesis. Furthermore, interviews with eight major organizations and 242 filled questionnaires from engineering and contracting companies with different specialties added to clearly reach the required research objectives. It was concluded that the ADKAR components: Awareness, Desire, Knowledge, Ability, and Reinforcement with the exception of Ability in adopting BIM for Civil and Architectural specialties, seemed to be higher in percentage than in Mechanical and Electrical fields. It was noticeable that all fields lack the Ability to implement BIM in real construction projects. Furthermore, adopting BIM in the West Bank construction projects were more effective for higher educational degrees, lower years of experience, smaller size companies, and Architects and Civil engineers. Luckily, and after collecting the needed data and analyzing the qualitative and quantitative results, a framework was established for different engineering fields such as: Architectural, Civil, Mechanical, and Electrical specializations. The framework supports BIM application with the help of Government and its organizations to engage all stakeholders including the owner, to successfully approve BIM adoption in building projects. This study adds a contribution to the buildings sector by applying ADKAR change management model in the BIM adoption process for the first time in literature. In conclusion, the researcher recommends adopting BIM in the developing countries, as well as in other regions possible for their construction projects.
- ItemAgile Project Management Practices in Palestinian IT Companies: A Managerial Framework(2016) Abdalla Jaber Abdalla Alhroub; Dr. Ayham JaaronPalestinian software sector is directly affected by global trends of technology. Palestinian IT companies try to stay in the arena of competition. Agile project management (APM) is an emerging approach in software engineering, initially proposed and promoted by a group of sixteen software professionals who practice a set of methods, and share a common set of values of software development. They consolidated their thoughts, and defined these methods as “agile. This research aims at assessing the APM practices in Palestinian IT companies. This study aims at investigating the possibility of achieving the benefits of agile project management in software development through using agile project management practices. This study explored related topics to APM. Based on what the researcher had got from the literature, he assessed the APM in software development sector by analyzing the readiness of APM implementation including changes required, challenges and risks in addition to testing the 12 agile principles and agile success factors by using mixed methods methodology, qualitative and quantitative research tools, and all of these 12 principles and success factors were found in literature. A questionnaire was the quantitative tool, whereas, the qualitative one was conducting interviews in Palestinian IT companies. Quantitative data was analyzed by the SPSS program to generate descriptive statistics required and to test a number of related hypothesis. However, the qualitative data was analyzed using the thematic analysis approach. The questionnaire was designed to simulate the project’s success factors and agile project management practices in software development and information technology sector. The interview questions have been formed in accordance with the questionnaire which examines the hypotheses of the study, where it supports the research results through the answers provided by experts in the field of agile project management practices through their answers to the questions asked in interviews Protocol, and distributed to the sampled companies. Palestinian Information Technology Association (PITA) is considered as the official body which include all IT and software development Palestinian companies. According to PITA, the population size is 80 companies that are working in SW development sector according to many activities. The sample size was 67 based on population size, confidence level is 95%, and confidence interval is 5%. The results show that there are indicators that prove that the Palestinian IT companies have a high degree of agile implementation process in most aspects such as dealing with the change required, welcoming to change, focusing on customer centric, giving high attention to the team and its characteristics, and daily administrative procedures. However, the results show that Palestinian IT companies are lacking required level of ability to deal with challenges and risks of the APM processes and people characteristics readiness. The study indicates that eight of the nine hypothesis have statistically significant relationship with success. A framework was developed by the researcher as the main output to enable Palestinian IT companies to properly adopt the principles and the practices of agile project management that can enhance APM processes implementation. The value of this research is the introduction of an APM enhancement framework that can help the Palestinian IT companies to facilitate SW development process, and encounter the daily obstacles that to be solved, and to get rid of the suffering of IT sector, which opens the door for more creativity in Palestinian IT sector.
- ItemAnalysis and Evaluation of Current Situation of the Food Industries in Nablus City(2007) Mahdi Othman Mahmoud Al-Aghber; Dr. Ali Abdelhamid; Dr. Azziz Salem DweikThis study is concerned with the analysis and evaluation of current situation of the food industries in Nablus city in terms of the importance of industrial location, decision making in allocation of industries, as well as identifying strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and available potentials to develop these industries. The major aim of this thesis is to identify the significant factors that affect the selection of the food industries in Nablus city, and determining the factors that contribute to the development and promotion of these industries. The methodology of the study is based on the descriptive and analytical research methods, using the tools of the questionnaire and field survey of the locations of food industries in Nablus, and the available data from the related official sources. The results of the study have indicated that most of the problems and obstacles facing the sector of food industries in Nablus city such as obstacles in importing raw materials and exporting the products are due to political and security condition as well as the measures taken by the Israeli occupation. Also, the study indicated the significance of the competition, capital and transportation cost factors in the selection of the location of these industries. The study has recommended the necessity of protecting the food industries and both the local and national products. In addition, it emphasized the necessity of making future plans for the food industries in Nablus city in the light of the need of local and national markets, and the requirements of the general planning of the city.
- ItemAnalysis and Evaluation of Development in Palestine using Urban Carrying Capacity Assessment System: Tulkarem Governorate as a Case Study(An-Najah National University, 2018-04-01) إيهاب حجازي, علي عبدالحميدThis study examines the analysis the development in Tulkarm governorate using the urban carrying capacity assessment system during the period (2005-2016), which is defined as the maximum level of human activities, such as population's growth ,land use and physical development without considerable degradation and damage. The problem lies in this study is that the Tulkarm governorate developed highly and intensely during the period (2005-2016), Consequently, more pressure was put on natural resources. However, this rapid development may does not commensurate with the urban carrying capacity. This, in turn, leads to persistent and permanent problems, especially those related to population and overlapped land use, which jeopardize the natural resources . In addition to the impact of the political factor that limits and prevents the achievement of the potential development, which is compatible with the urban carrying capacity of the governorate, where there is enough area that can be exploited in the case of absence of the occupation to guide and achieve the best development that preserves the governorate in a sustainable manner. This study aims first to analyze ,and evaluate the development in Tulkarm governorate using the Urban Carrying Capacity Assessment System (UCCAS) through building up a Framework of factors of urban carrying capacity. Therefore and in order to determine the change in the development in the governorate and identify the influential factors of carrying capacity. the researcher divided the study , according the available data, into two periods : (2005 and 2016) , used GIS for built up spatial databases for the study periods, and used aerial photographs (Orthophotos 2005 and 2016) for the sake of review and audit. secondly, planning for potential development scenarios in terms of carrying capacity in both cases with and without the geopolitical situation of the Governorate to develop it in a convenient manner in case of land availability and suitability. The results showed that the urban carrying capacity of the Governorate was determined mainly by two factors: population density and agriculture land use , and it also showed according to the analyses of both scenarios, that the political factor limits and prevents the achievement of the potential development, which is compatible with the urban carrying capacity of the governorate ,where there is enough area that can be exploited in the case of absence of the occupation to guide and achieve the best development that preserves the governorate in a sustainable manner. Based on these results, the researcher came up with the following recommendations: establishment of a geospatial database based on Geographic Information System (GIS) for the classification the land uses accurately. The researcher also recommends, to prepare ways to control future developments in any area of Palestine within its urban carrying capacity, and application of this methodology of different levels and characteristics of urban environments in Palestine to achieve to achieve the desired sustainable development.
- ItemAnalysis and Evaluation of Governmental School Buildings in the West Bank(2003) Nazih Omar Mohamed Yousef;The state of education in Palestine was and still suffering from various problem and obstacles related with the design of school buildings according to the basic standards and regulations concerning the area, number of classes and students as well as services. In order to deal with this situation, several governmental and non-governmental institutions, which appeared in the West Bank, have been trying to build schools. This study constitutes an analysis and evaluation of how much the governmental schools were able to deal with this situation by showing the proportion between the construction price and the ability to solve problems related students' achievement and performance from one side and the architectural design of school from the other side. In addition, the study aims at seeking the applicability of governmental Palestinian schools to standards of formal schools in other countries. The study is based upon three major parts. The first part includes the study of evolution of education and schools in Palestine with emphasis on the current situation in terms of types and characteristics of schools, and the range of meeting the population needs as well as identifying the problems and obstacles they are facing. In the second part, some theories, models and concepts concerning planning and design standards of schools are reviewed. Consequently, in the third part, the governmental schools in the West Bank are analyzed and evaluated according to theoretical bases in the second part. Then, certain results and recommendations are given in order to develop the current situation of education by improving the activity of schools and their applicability to planning and design standards. To achieve the aims of the study, the author used the historical descriptive research method while studying and reviewing the development and evolution of education in Palestine. Also, he depended on the filed survey of existing governmental schools in the West Bank, by using questionnaires, interviews and observations. Moreover, the author used the analytical method in analyzing and evaluating the collected data and identifying the positive and negative aspects as well as problems facing these schools in terms of buildings, students and teachers. As a result, the study indicated that the governmental schools in the West Bank are affected by various factors such as the location, area and the allocated financial resources. Also, it indicated the inapplicability of most of these schools to the applied planning and design standards. Finally, the study emphasized the necessity of building governmental schools on accurate bases in terms of the relation between the site of school and surrounding communities, and also the applicability to design standards and building regulations.
- ItemAnalysis and Evaluation of Land-use Patterns in the Town of Jericho(2006) Hussein Mohamed Sa'd Alnojoom; Dr: Ali AbdelhamidThis study is focusing mainly on studying and analyzing the land-use patterns in Jericho city during the 20th Century, through reviewing the structural plans, regulations and laws that were prepared during this century. The main objective of this study is to analyze and evaluate various land uses by identifying weaknesses in the prepared plans, and trying to put some recommendations and proposals which help create land use plans for in the city of Jericho in a scientific way, so as to enable the city in achieving its goal and performing its functions properly without clashes, or deformation, and meeting citizens and local community requirements in the modern age. The methodology of the study was based on the descriptive analytical method in analyzing the structural plans and planning rules and their impact on the city of Jericho depending on the available data and the experience of the author through his work in the Department of Local Government in Jericho. The results of indicated the negative aspects in the city, such as the overlapping and interference of land uses as well as the ignorance of previous structural plans to certain necessary and significant uses. Also, the study emphasized the urgency of preparing and approving a new structural plan for the city, which regulates the existing land uses and identifies the future or proposed uses in the coming period. Moreover, the study recommended the necessity of enhancing and straitening the touristic role and value of Jericho city as well as emphasizing the conservation of the historical and cultural areas and sites in the city, besides developing the sector of public services and facilities that support and enhance the touristic role of Jericho.
- ItemAnalysis and Short-Term Future Vision for the Transportation Plan in Jenin City(2006) Ahmad Hasan Mohamad AL-Mosleh; Dr. Khaled Al-SahiliThere is a lack of urban and transportation planning in Jenin City. This study addresses the short-term planning for the transportation systems in Jenin City to reach at appropriate solutions for the transportation problems in the city. In addition, the study addresses other detailed objectives for the various transportation systems in the city. This study includes statistical data collection from its various sources and field surveys (traffic volume studies, parking studies, and inventory studies). The thesis includes a study of existing transportation systems (description and evaluation), traffic analysis of studied intersections (capacity, level of service, and signalization). The analysis includes existing and future conditions (after five years), which depend on projected number of vehicles based on natural population growth for Jenin City, as the number of vehicles during the last ten years was not regularly registered and licensed. The importance of this thesis is that there is a need for regularly conducting such studies every five years to update such plans taking into consideration several changes taking place in this city. Most of these changes come from political and economical reasons, in addition to the changing traffic conditions in the transportation network and the existing and proposed transportation systems resulted from the Jenin Master Plan. Based on the analysis, the study reached at several recommendations for the existing and proposed road network conditions, which form the transportation master plan for the city. The proposed changes include plans for the studied intersections and roadways, parking, public transportation, truck routes, pedestrian areas, and the institutional structure. The study concluded that only one intersection is warranted for signalization in the future, which is An-Naffa Intersection.
- ItemAnalysis of Major Benefits and Costs for Pedestrian-Overpass Case Study : Nablus City(2000) Banan "Mohamed Rima'a" Saleem Jadallah; Dr. Osama A. AbazaPedestrian-overpasses are appropriate when there is high speed and/or high traffic flow, where there is considerable pedestrian delay or a high pedestrian accident problem. Proper evaluation of these parameters resulted in identifying the most appropriate locations for installing pedestrian—overpasses. An economic analysis was proposed in this study for the purpose of reasonable evaluation of the required parameters that justified the installation of such costly structures. The economic analysis was interpreted in terms of benefit-cost ratio. The later considered the savings of pedestrian accidents and pedestrian delay as the benefits that will be achieved after the installation of overpasses, on the other hand, construction and maintenance costs were considered. Based on this analysis three different guidelines were developed. Accident guideline, pedestrian delay guideline, and combination of guidelines. Cases with different assumptions can be applied, based on the proposed modification process. The developed guidelines are applied for unsignalized urban areas. The comparison with currently used warrants implied that the developed guidelines are more specific and flexible.
- ItemAnalysis of Power Conversion Stages and Efficiency Improvement Possibilities for Grid Connected Pv System.(Eman Omar Mahmoud Abu Hani, 2018-04-10) Abu Hani, EmanIn this thesis the improvement of large scale PV system conversion efficiency is presented. Mainly the inverter efficiency is considered to be improved by testing two different configurations of 100 kWp PV. The first configuration consists of one single centralized inverter and the second one of master-slave inverter. A Mathematical model is developed by MATLAB software to model the inverter efficiency as a function of input power then the power output is calculated by using hourly solar radiation and ambient temperature data over one year in Palestine. The simulation results show that the annual average energy production using the single centralized inverter is 181.26 MWh/year, while the annual production of master-slave inverter is 184.5MWh/year. In addition, by considering only the inverter efficiency the annual efficiency of DC/AC conversion stage for first system is 96.7% and for the second system is 98.4%. Economic analysis shows that the additional investment in master-Slave configuration instead of using single centralized inverter can be covered within six and a half years.
- ItemAnalysis of Project Management Practices in Public Sector in West Bank "Ministry of Public Works & Housing"(2011) Sajeda Rashed Janem; Dr. Riyad Abdel Kareem AwadThis study aims at assessing the different project management practices and tools followed by the different departments in public sector in West Bank, in particular, in Ministry of Public Works and Housing as well as to explore effective techniques and tools in project management within public sector, and to understand the main factors that hinder achieving project goals. In order to achieve the objectives of this study; a survey based on a questionnaire was carried out among General Directors, Directors, Head of Divisions, and Project Managers of related different departments in Ministry of Public Works and Housing in West Bank. Based upon the analysis of responses and studying case study of projects, the results of the study proved that there is an inefficiency of project management practices followed within Ministry of Public Works and Housing, and these practices could be graded as moderate with respect to best practices. The results revealed that officials believe that using a simple and well defined framework with a staged approach ensures project success. They also had the conviction that post evaluation of projects is essential to project success; to deduce and file continuous recommendations so as to overcome possible shortcoming in new projects. Nevertheless, miscommunication among project team, absence of thorough planning and non-adopting of clear methodologies revealed as the main factors that lead for hindrance of achieving project goals. Keywords: Public Sector, Ministry of Public Works & Housing, Project Management.
- ItemANALYSISAND IMPROVEMENT OF NABLUS ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTION NETWORK BY ADDING A NEW CONNECTION POINT IN SARRA VILLAGE AND TWO TRANSFER SUB-STATIONS TO FEED THE NETWORK(جامعة النجاح الوطنية, 2022-01-18) Qassab, MohammadLack of electric power sources is one of main problems in Palestine since the population increased dramatically and the required electric power exceeded the permissible limit. In fact, since the Israeli-Electric Company is almost the primary source of electricity, therefore the electric power are limited. The Palestinians suffer from a shortage of electric power due to increasing of electrical power demand, but Israel Electric Corporation does not keeping up with the increasing demand. Nablus also suffers from a shortage of electric power due to the existence of new buildings and the sharp increase of population. In addition, the total electric power supplied to Nablus from connection points has the capacity of 65 MW, but electrical loads reached their peak especially in winter. Consequently, North Electrical Distribution company (NEDCO) cuts off some loads from certain areas in Nablus network for periods of time that exceed an hour per day in order to reduce the pressure on the other connection points in the same electrical network because loads exceed the permissible limit. This leads to failure in electrical transformers as well as in transmission lines and devices. At SARRA connection point, which is one of the connection points of Nablus, the capacity of the substation is 80 MW, and the used capacity is 40 MW. In this study, the researcher aims to examine the analysis and improvement of Nablus electrical distribution network by adding a new connection point in SARRA village and two distribution sub-stations to feed the network. There, a distribution substation was added in two areas with a capacity for 20 MW to each substation, named: Nablus Al-Jadida and An-Najah National Hospital. In fact, the electric power capacity has been raised to 105 MW for the city of Nablus. In this study, the problem was solved considerably by providing new areas with electric power and redistributing the loads from other connection points located in the Nablus city, especially in the eastern industrial area, and new overhead and underground electric transmission lines have been established. The value of the electric capacity supplied from the connection points to the city of Nablus has decreased, and there is a possibility of future expansion and supplying areas in the future due to the presence of electric energy capacity at the new connection points, according to the results found in this study. Also, economic feasibility of the project was prepared and the initial cost value has been calculated.
- ItemAnalyzing And Evaluating The Ralaces Rehabilitation Projects Of The Throne Villages In Palestine(2011) Hamzeh Muharram "Moh'd Said" AL-Najjar; Dr. Haitham Al-RatroutThis study discusses the rehabilitation's approaches of the historical buildings in Palestinian rural areas, In light of different views and opinions relevant to restoration issues and its concepts. This research basically aims to evaluating the rehabilitation projects of palaces in the throne villages as a case study. Through studying and analyzing to what extent these relevant to the international recommendations and investigate its successfulness. It is possible to draw policies of architectural rehabilitation projects in Palestine. This research investigates the development of restoration concepts and architectural conservation. It also discusses the international recommendation on protecting the architectural and cultural heritage. The study elaborate on the Palestinian projects on the rehabilitation of palaces in the throne villages; i.e. studying the steps of rehabilitation which were made and investigating that experience by comparing it with international recommendations. Finally, this research reached to a conclusion that the executed rehabilitation projects in Palestine shows a challenge to work under certain circumstances and constrains, but the leading authorities in the field have a lack in experience to generate comprehensive plan on how to conserve the architectural heritage. So as to develop the rehabilitation projects of the historical buildings in Palestine in the future, it is possible to make use of the advantages and avoid disadvantages which were found from this study. In general projects of conservation in Palestine and experience are still promising and in its first stages. This needs more support and contribution in relevant fields.
- ItemAnalyzing and Evaluating Visual Pollution In Tulkarem City (Center of Tulkarem City – Case Study)(2009) Mohammad Talal Jamil Khaled; Dr. Mohammad Atta YousefThis study aimed to investigate the phenomenon of visual pollution in the city of Tulkarm, as an example of the Palestinian cities, identifying it’s manifestations, the impact of these manifestations into the general scene in the city, and to propose treatment recommendations for municipality of Tulkarem and related institutions. In order to achieve the objectives of the study, the researcher recognized and documented with figures and charts the manifestations of visual pollution in the city, and also designed questionnaire to assess the phenomenon of visual pollution. The questionnaire was validated and distributed to a stratified random sample of size (196) of engineers and others. The researcher revealed the following results - The most important aesthetic elements that must be met is the water fountains, the night lighting, and the walls of cinema. - The elements that have most contribution to the visual pollution are the places of supply of goods, umbrellas, kiosks. - There is a negative role for the municipality of Tulkarem in the rebuilding and planning of the square of Jamal Abdel Nasser. - The places of selling goods, traffic congestion and narrow streets are the biggest planning and environmental problems faced by the city of Tulkarem . - There is a very big role lying on the Tulkarem municipality to find parking, guiding plates, street lighting, and removal of places of selling goods, and the development of waste baskets, standardization of billboards, the restoration of old buildings, and to identify the pattern and system of each street, the redesign of the city center. In the light of the study, a set of recommendations were concluded, as follows. - The necessity of setting appropriate laws and legislations, to curb the further spread of the phenomenon of visual pollution, particularly with regard to building. - Caring of a unified model for advertisements, and their location, and the spaces allocated to them. - The need to redesign the square of Jamal Abdel Nasser. - The need for the restoration of old buildings to create a state of coherence and harmony between the two types of buildings throughout the city.
- ItemThe Applicability of Knowledge-Based Urban Development in Urban Development Processes in Nablus City: An-Najah National University and their Neighbourhoods as a Case Study(An-Najah National University, 2021-04-21) كتانه, شروق خالد تميمOver the past several years there have been several discussions about the approach of knowledge-based urban development (KBUD) in urban planning and development processes, which is mainly based on developing the city and spatial environments to meet creative, productive, smart, and knowledge worker’s needs. Moreover, KBUD concentrates on how to provide a better life quality for residents, workers, students, and visitors of a city. Space here is a force of production, especially universities, knowledge and education institutions, cultural centers, interaction places, and recreational centers which play a prominent role in creating environments that generate and attract employments from around the world to live and work within the city. Therefore this study is focusing on how the An-Najah National University campuses (ANNUC) in Nablus city are integrated together and with the urban fabric to create a knowledge precincts spine between the two campuses made up of educational and recreational centers to fulfill the student’s, worker’s, and resident’s needs. In addition to examine the applicability of KBUD approach in the city. The identified need for this research is to examine which spatial and environmental considerations must be taken into account at ANNUC’s neighborhoods in the urban development processes to achieve KBUD in Nablus, which are assumed to be different from conventional universities claims.
- ItemApplication of Superpave System for Binder Selection Based on Local Conditions(2008) Ala'a Shafiq Lutfi Abdullah; Dr. Osama Abaza; Dr. Khaled Al-SahiliThis thesis generally, aims to apply the Superpave system in West Bank regions. This system was developed in the U.S.A during period 1987- 1993. The temperature data for West Bank regions was obtained from Directorate of Meteorology at the Ministry of Transportation. The latitude for each city was obtained from geographical maps. The analysis of data showed that most of Palestinian areas require one Type of binder which is PG 64-10 excluding Jericho, which requires PG 70-10. According to a study conducted in Jordan about the properties of local binders, which is the same type of binder used in the West Bank, it appeared that it has the same properties of PG 64-16. Therefore, the local binder can be used in all West Bank regions excluding Jericho. In this thesis several special cases were studied as such as slow traffic, standing traffic, and heavy traffic volume. The optimum binders for these cases were determined accordingly. Finally, it is recommended to use Superpave system in the West Bank because it has better performance over the Marshall mix design, as found by several studies.
- ItemApplying Virtualized Evolved Packet Core in Palestinian Mobile Operators(جامعة النجاح الوطنية, 2019-02-03) دراغمة, خولةالشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية هي تكنولوجيا تم اقتراحها من أجل تخفيف أثر تدني الربح في قطاع الاتصالات العالمي. وبناءا عليه فان الشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية هي اتجاه جديد للتغلب على تحديات البنية التحية المطلوبة لتقديم خدمات جديدة وادارة النمو السريع في الطلب على خدمات البيانات. الهدف الاساسي من هذه الدراسة هي التفريق بين نماذج الخدمات الافتراضية وهي: الشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية للبنية التحتية كخدمة والشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية كبرنامج والشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية كبرمجيات. وبين النماذج الأولية وهي الشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية المملوكة والنظام المخصص القديم من خلال تقييم الجوانب التشغيلية والادارية والتجارية المتعلقة بالنماذج. أيضا تقديم توصيات شاملة للحالة الدراسية من حيث أفضل نموذج يمكن تطبيقه على الرمة الأساسية المتطورة . في هذه الدراسة تم تطوير نموذج رياضي على عدة مراحل الذي ينتهي بنموذج الرمة الأساسية المتطورة الموصي به للمشغل بناءا على معطيات المشغل. أول مرحلة تتمثل في تقييم مدى استعداد المشغل من أجل التحويل إلى نظام الرمة الأساسية المتطورة الافتراضية, ثم يتم الانتقال إلى المرحلة الثانية وهي تقييم مؤشرات الأداء الرئيسية والتي تخضع للمنظور التجاري والتقني والتحويلي, بحيث أن تقييم المؤشرات سوف يختلف من مشغل إلى اخر بناءا على أولويات الشركة وأهدافها التجارية. بعد ذلك تأتي المرحلة الثالثة والتي تتمثل في تقيم نماذج الرمة الأساسية المتطورة لكل مؤشر أداء رئيسي وهذه المرحلة تنقسم إلى قسمين رئيسين: القسم الأول هو المعدل النوعي بحيث يتم تقيم نماذج الرمة الأساسية المتطورة بناءا على دراسات وتجربة الخبراء والتغذية الراجعة من المزودين , القسم الثاني هو المعدل الكمي والذي يتعلق بمؤشرات الاداء الرئيسية المالية والتي تتمثل في قيمة الاستثمار بالإضافة إلى المصاريف التشغيلية لكل نموذج من نماذج الرمة الاساسية المتطورة .لذلك المعدل الكمي سوف يختلف بين مشغل واخر بناءا على المعطيات المالية لكل مشغل. بعد أن يتم تطبيق النموذج الرياضي على المشغل فان نتائج النرياضي تتلخص في: النتيجة الأولى هي مدى استعداد المشغل للانتقال إلى الشبكة الوظيفية المطورة بحيث يعتمد بشكل كامل على قرار المشغل, بناءا على معطيات تقييم الاستعداد للانتقال إلى الشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية أو عدم الانتقال بالإضافة إلى تحديد المخاطر المتعلقة في استراتيجية الانتقال إلى الشبكة الوظيفية. المخرج الثاني من النموذج الرياضي هو نموذج الرمة الاساسية المتطورة الموصي به للمشغل بناءا على تقيم مؤشرات الأداء الرئيسية والمعطيات المالية للمشغل. هذه الدراسة تركز على سوق الاتصالات الفلسطيني حيث أن فلسطين تعد دولة نامية خاضعة للاحتلال وعوائقه في مختلف القطاعات. حيث أن قطاع الاتصالات واحدة من هذه المجالات التي تعاني من القوانين المفروضة من الاحتلال. في هذا السياق هذه الدراسة طبقت على أوريدو فلسطين احدى المشغلات الخلوية الفلسطينية بحيث أن اوريدو فلسطين تقدم خدماتها في سوق يوجد فيه منافسة قوية بين المشغلات الفلسطينية بالإضافة إلى المنافسة الغير قانونية المفروضة من المشغلات الخرى مثل مشغل سيليكوم الاسرائيلي ومشغل أورنج الاسرائيلي. أظهرت نتائج الدراسة أن أوريدو فلسطين على استعداد عالي من أجل التحويل نحو النظام الافتراضي, بحيث أن استراتيجية النظام الافتراضي هي استراتيجية رئيسية يمكن من خلالها التقليل من تأثير التحديات التي تواجه المشغلات الفلسطينية. بالإضافة إلى ذلك أظهرت النتائج ان نموذج الحزمة الأساسية المتطورة الموصي بتطبيقه في أوريدو فلسطين هو الشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية المملوكة, كما عرضت الدراسة تحليل كامل المخاطر الاستراتيجية للنظام الافتراضي المتعلقة بالحالة الدراسية لأوريدو فلسطين.
- ItemApplying Virtualized Evolved Packet Core in Palestinian Mobile Operators(ِAn-Najah National University, 2019-02-03) Daraghmeh, Khawlaالشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية هي تكنولوجيا تم اقتراحها من أجل تخفيف أثر تدني الربح في قطاع الاتصالات العالمي. وبناءا عليه فان الشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية هي اتجاه جديد للتغلب على تحديات البنية التحية المطلوبة لتقديم خدمات جديدة وادارة النمو السريع في الطلب على خدمات البيانات. الهدف الاساسي من هذه الدراسة هي التفريق بين نماذج الخدمات الافتراضية وهي: الشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية للبنية التحتية كخدمة والشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية كبرنامج والشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية كبرمجيات. وبين النماذج الأولية وهي الشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية المملوكة والنظام المخصص القديم من خلال تقييم الجوانب التشغيلية والادارية والتجارية المتعلقة بالنماذج. أيضا تقديم توصيات شاملة للحالة الدراسية من حيث أفضل نموذج يمكن تطبيقه على الرمة الأساسية المتطورة . في هذه الدراسة تم تطوير نموذج رياضي على عدة مراحل الذي ينتهي بنموذج الرمة الأساسية المتطورة الموصي به للمشغل بناءا على معطيات المشغل. أول مرحلة تتمثل في تقييم مدى استعداد المشغل من أجل التحويل إلى نظام الرمة الأساسية المتطورة الافتراضية, ثم يتم الانتقال إلى المرحلة الثانية وهي تقييم مؤشرات الأداء الرئيسية والتي تخضع للمنظور التجاري والتقني والتحويلي, بحيث أن تقييم المؤشرات سوف يختلف من مشغل إلى اخر بناءا على أولويات الشركة وأهدافها التجارية. بعد ذلك تأتي المرحلة الثالثة والتي تتمثل في تقيم نماذج الرمة الأساسية المتطورة لكل مؤشر أداء رئيسي وهذه المرحلة تنقسم إلى قسمين رئيسين: القسم الأول هو المعدل النوعي بحيث يتم تقيم نماذج الرمة الأساسية المتطورة بناءا على دراسات وتجربة الخبراء والتغذية الراجعة من المزودين , القسم الثاني هو المعدل الكمي والذي يتعلق بمؤشرات الاداء الرئيسية المالية والتي تتمثل في قيمة الاستثمار بالإضافة إلى المصاريف التشغيلية لكل نموذج من نماذج الرمة الاساسية المتطورة .لذلك المعدل الكمي سوف يختلف بين مشغل واخر بناءا على المعطيات المالية لكل مشغل. بعد أن يتم تطبيق النموذج الرياضي على المشغل فان نتائج النرياضي تتلخص في: النتيجة الأولى هي مدى استعداد المشغل للانتقال إلى الشبكة الوظيفية المطورة بحيث يعتمد بشكل كامل على قرار المشغل, بناءا على معطيات تقييم الاستعداد للانتقال إلى الشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية أو عدم الانتقال بالإضافة إلى تحديد المخاطر المتعلقة في استراتيجية الانتقال إلى الشبكة الوظيفية. المخرج الثاني من النموذج الرياضي هو نموذج الرمة الاساسية المتطورة الموصي به للمشغل بناءا على تقيم مؤشرات الأداء الرئيسية والمعطيات المالية للمشغل. هذه الدراسة تركز على سوق الاتصالات الفلسطيني حيث أن فلسطين تعد دولة نامية خاضعة للاحتلال وعوائقه في مختلف القطاعات. حيث أن قطاع الاتصالات واحدة من هذه المجالات التي تعاني من القوانين المفروضة من الاحتلال. في هذا السياق هذه الدراسة طبقت على أوريدو فلسطين احدى المشغلات الخلوية الفلسطينية بحيث أن اوريدو فلسطين تقدم خدماتها في سوق يوجد فيه منافسة قوية بين المشغلات الفلسطينية بالإضافة إلى المنافسة الغير قانونية المفروضة من المشغلات الخرى مثل مشغل سيليكوم الاسرائيلي ومشغل أورنج الاسرائيلي. أظهرت نتائج الدراسة أن أوريدو فلسطين على استعداد عالي من أجل التحويل نحو النظام الافتراضي, بحيث أن استراتيجية النظام الافتراضي هي استراتيجية رئيسية يمكن من خلالها التقليل من تأثير التحديات التي تواجه المشغلات الفلسطينية. بالإضافة إلى ذلك أظهرت النتائج ان نموذج الحزمة الأساسية المتطورة الموصي بتطبيقه في أوريدو فلسطين هو الشبكة الوظيفية الافتراضية المملوكة, كما عرضت الدراسة تحليل كامل المخاطر الاستراتيجية للنظام الافتراضي المتعلقة بالحالة الدراسية لأوريدو فلسطين.