Now showing 1 - 5 of 57
- ItemPalestinian Public Opinion Polls No. 57(An-Najah National University/ Opinion Polls and Survey Studies Unit, 2018-10)Several rounds of talk between the representatives of Fateh and Hamas were conducted in Cairo under the Egyptian sponsorship. Representatives of different Palestinian factions participated in these talks but no agreement to end the Palestinian division and achieve a reconciliation has been reached yet. The Palestinian Authority has stopped communication with the US administration and called for expanding the auspices of the negotiation between the Palestinian Authority and Israel. This Palestinian move came as a result to the declaration made by the US President, Donald Trump recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and moving the US embassy there. Meanwhile the US Administration every now and then declares that they will launch the “Deal of the Century” which will offer a final solution to the Palestinian question.
- ItemPalestinian Public Opinion Polls No. 56(An-Najah National University/ Opinion Polls and Survey Studies Unit, 2018-03-22)The US President, Donald Trump, declared his recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and gave orders to move the US Embassy to Jerusalem. Following this recognition, the Palestinian Authority declared freezing all communication with the US Administration. The US Administration, however, declares every once in a while that it will launch the “deal of the century” which, as they think, will be the solution for the Palestinian question. A huge explosion targeted the Prime Minister’s (Dr. Rami Hamdallah) motorcade in the area of Beit Hanoun during his visit to the Gaza Strip to inaugurate some projects. President Mahmoud Abbas called for establishing a multilateral international mechanism emanating from an international conference and based on the international decisions. Such conference would launch new and real negotiations that would lead to the two-state solution
- ItemPalestinian Public Opinion Polls No. 55(An-Najah National University/ Opinion Polls and Survey Studies Unit, 2017-10)After ten years of Palestinian division, Fateh and Hamas declared an end to it. The reconciliation was achieved after a series of consultations and mediations from different sides to end the division. The Coalition Government presided by Dr. Rami Hamdallah went to the Gaza Strip and held the government meeting in Gaza city. Several ministers inspected their ministries in the Gaza Strip to resume their responsibilities there. Fateh and Hamas agreed to resume their meetings in Cairo to resolve the unsettled issues and hand in the administration of the Gaza Strip to the Coalition Government..
- ItemPalestinian Public Opinion Polls No. 54(An-Najah National University/ Opinion Polls and Survey Studies Unit, 2017-04)In order to end the Palestinian division, the Palestinian Authority (PA) suggested that Hamas hand in the administration of the Gaza Strip to the PA. Otherwise, Hamas should shoulder all matters related to the administration of the Gaza Strip including the financial responsibilities. Hamas is preparing a new document and a new program based on the creation of a Palestinian state on the 1967 borders with Jerusalem as its capital. The Palestinian Government issued a decision to conduct municipal and local council elections on May 13 in the West Bank only after the refusal of Hamas to conduct elections in the Gaza Strip.
- ItemPalestinian Public Opinion Polls No. 53(2016-10)The Palestinian Government has issued a decree deferring the municipality and local council elections which were supposed to be held in the Palestinian territories in November, 2016. The decree was issued after the ruling made by the Palestinian Supreme Court to the effect that elections are to be conducted only in the West Bank. After the signed agreement between Fateh and Hamas to end the Palestinian split, nothing was carried out of the agreement other than the formation of a Palestinian coalition government; the other items have not been implemented.