Browsing Academic by Issue Date
Now showing 1 - 20 of 12478
Results Per Page
- ItemPossible Role of Parental Consanguinity on Having Offspring with Hearing Impairment(208-05-30) Amal Suleiman; Do’a Haj Hamad; Mhammad JaberHearing impairment could be caused of several factors regardless its type and degree of severity. The etiological role of genetic factors was confirmed in several international cohorts. It was also noted that parental consanguinity was factor for having offspring with HL. In this study, the aim is to test the degree of association of parental consanguinity and hearing impairment in Palestine. This study was carried out on 26 children with variable degrees of hearing impairment from Al-Murabitat school Qalqilya. The Study period started from October 2018 to February 2019 (5 months). We found that about 80.7% of parents were consanguineous. The most common type of consanguinity was first cousins (about 50%). These results are consistent with several national, region and international cohorts. Together, all these studies revealed that parental consanguinity was more common as risk factor of hearing impairment than it was thought before. The practice of consanguineous marriage should be discouraged.
- ItemElectrochemical properties of Sol-gel WO3 films Co-doped with Ti and Zn(216) Madleen Ahmad Mohammad Albalshi; Dr. Iyad Saadeddin; Dr. Mohammed SuleimanWO3 nanoparticles doped with Ti (W1-xTixO3) and co-doped with Ti and Zn (W1-xTix-YZnyO3) have been prepared on FTO/glass substrate, using wet chemical method (dipping in a sol-gel). The Ti molar concentration into W1-xTixO3 ranges 0-30 % in steps of 5%. Best electrochromic properties were observed for composition that has Ti nominal concentration of 5% (W0.95Ti0.05O3). This was evidenced from cyclic voltammetry (CV), chronoamperometry (CA), and transparency during CA measurements. The composition that gives best electrochromic properties (W0.95Ti0.05O3) was chosen to prepare WO3 nanocrystallite films co-doped with Zn for the first time (W0.95Ti0.05-yZn yO3). The Zn molar concentration in these films varied 1-5%. From CV and CA measurements, Co- doped WO3 films showed better electrochromic performance than Ti single doped films. From co-doped films, the best electrochromic properties were observed for films that contains 3% of Zn (W0.95Ti0.02Zn0.03O3). The transparency spectrum of W0.95Ti0.02Zn0.03O3 electrode shows a high improvement in coloration efficiency compared to the coloration efficiency of W0.95Ti0.05O3 electrode. The stability of the prepared materials is also tested in H2SO4 electrolyte, though cycling electrodes for at least 6000 cycles.
- Itemأثر اقتصاد الظل على الإيرادات الضريبية في فلسطين ما بين الأعوام 2000-2020(جامعة النجاح الوطنية, 0223-02-16) إسراء سميح محمد أبو السباعهدفت هذه الدراسة إلى الوقوف على الأسباب التي تؤدي إلى تنامي ظاهرة اقتصاد الظل، وتقدير حجمه ما بين سنة (2000-2021)، وأثره على الإيرادات الضريبية في فلسطين، اعتمدت الدراسة على المنهج الوصفي التحليلي، وذلك بجمع البيانات الاقتصادية والأبحاث والدراسات السابقة والاعتماد عليها في صياغة الإطار النظري للبحث، أمّا فيما يخص الجانب التحليلي للبحث فقد اختارت الباحثة المنهج الكمي لتحليل البيانات السنوية للمتغيرات وذلك باستخدام نموذج المؤشرات المتعددة والاسباب المتعددة MIMIC Model (Multiple Indicators and Multiple Causes ) ، وتم تقدير حجم اقتصاد الظل بوساطة حساب نصيب الفرد من الناتج المحلي و العجز في الموازنة، الإنفاق العام، الإعانات الحكومية و معدل البطالة)، وتوصلت الدراسة إلى أنّ حجم اقتصاد الظل في فلسطين ما بين الأعوام (2000-2021) كان (44.45%) من الناتج المحلي الإجمالي، وأنّ هناك أثر سلبي لنشاطات اقتصاد الظل على الإيرادات الضريبية التي تحصلّها الدولة، وقد أوصت الدراسة بتنظيم أنشطة اقتصاد الظل الشرعية وإدخالها إلى الاقتصاد الرسمي وذلك عن طريق توفير إطار قانوني لها يجعلها تساهم بشكل إيجابي في الناتج المحلي الإجمالي والدخل القومي، وزيادة المشاريع الاستثمارية في فلسطين والتي تؤدي إلى زيادة فرص العمل وتخفيض البطالة مما يؤثر بشكل إيجابي على خفض حجم اقتصاد الظل في فلسطين، وخفض معدلات الضرائب على السلع الاستهلاكية والأساسية وذلك من أجل خفض أسعارها، مما يؤدي إلى زيادة قدرة الأفراد على تلبية حاجاتهم الأساسية، وانخفاض توجههم إلى أنشطة اقتصاد الظل. الكلمات المفتاحية: اقتصاد الظل، الإيرادات الضريبية، الضرائب المباشرة، الضرائب غير المباشرة.
- ItemOccurrence of Pythium Species in Cultivated Soils in the West Bank and Gaza Strip: A Preliminary Report(1986) Mohammed S. Ali-ShtayehThe Pythium flora of 38 soils from different sections of the West Bank and Gaza Strip was determined using a selective agar medium and a surface - soil - dilution plating technique. A total of 23 species were recovered. Sixteen of these species possessed subglobose sporangia and/or hyphal swellings and constituted 92 % of the total number of Pythium propagules. The remaining species had filamentous or lobulate sporangia. Considerable differences in population levels in the different localities were found. The Nablus locality harboured the highest mean level of Pythium propagules followed by the localities in Jenin, Bethlehem, Jericho, Tulkarm, Ramallah, Gaza Strip, and Hebron. Solis in the different localities differed also in population levels and composition of species. Associations between Pythium population levels and soil factors and agricultural practices are discussed.
- ItemPhoton Shadowing in Nuclei(1986) Ghassan SaffariniPhotonuclear Shadowing is studied using the Glauber - generalized vector meson dominance approach. The calculation is performed using both diagonal and off - diagonal generalized vector dominance (GVMD) models. The results are compatible with experiments within the large systematic uncertainties of the available data.
- ItemTinea Capitis in the Nablus Area(1986) Hisham M. ArdaDuring 1972 - 1979 tinea capitis patients constituted 4.2% of all new dermatology patients clinically diagnosed at the outpatient skin clinic in Ittihad Hospital and at a private clinic in Nablus. About 78.6% of tinea capitis patients were from rural areas. 76.5% of them were under the age of 10 years. In a survey at primary schools in two villages, in a refugee camp and in the city of Nablus, the incidence of tinea capitis was found to be about 15% in the village schools, 3% in the camp and 1.8% in Nablus.
- ItemHomogeneous Catalysis of O-Silylation Reactions Using Tris (Acetylacetonato) Cobalt (III)(1986) Hikmat S.HilalTris (acetylacetonato) cobalt (III), (Co(acac)3), has been used to catalyze o-silylation reactions of R 3 Siff (R.z.Et,Et0) with R OH (Rt-Et, i-Pr, t-.Bu and C6Hj-). No reaction has been observed at room temperature, but the reaction is apparently enhanced when carried out at a higher temperature. The rate of the reaction varies with varying the concentration of the saline or the alcohol. Using different types of alcohols and silanes greatly affects the rate of the reaction. The rate of the reaction is affected by varying the concentration of the complex (Co(acaci6)).
- ItemStudy of Changes in the Ground Water in Gaza Strip during the Last Twenty Years(1986) M. AshourThe inhabitants of the Gaza Strip depend heavily on underground resources for their water supplies. This is due, partly, to the scarcity of rain falls in that region and, also, to the limited number (three) of streams and the inadequate quantities of water which can be drawn from them. Chemical analysis of the water (for irrigation and domestic purposes) obtained from several wells and the comparison of the results, with those previously performed, on the same wells, showed, conclusively, that there exist a gradual change in the quality of water attainable from these wells. This has been attributed, to the intrusion of the Mediterranean salty water into the main aquifer (Plio-Pleistocene aquifer) of the area.
- ItemM.R.H. A New Era in Magnetic Head Design(1986) Mazen R. HusniThe conventional method for reading/writing information from/on a magnetic media (e.g. magnetic tapes in audio and video recorders, computers etc.) uses what is called an inductive head. This consists of several turns of enemelled wire, wound on a specially prepared former as shown in Fig.1. To write (record) information on the magnetic tape, a modulated current signal is injected into the coil. The current treats (induces) a magnetic field at the free ends of the former (poles) which in turn aligns the magnetic particles deposited on the tape, subsequently producing a record of the injected signal. To retrieve the information (i.e. playback the recorded signals) the prerecorded tape is swiped across the poles of the inductive head. In this case the reverse of the write cycle occurs i.e. the magnetic field from the tape influence the former in such a manner as to cause a current flow through the coil having the same form as the recorded signal. A major disadvantage of this type of head is its speed dependence. Since the head senses the rate of change of field, d?/dt (and not the field itself ? its output becomes greatly dependent' on the speed of the tape. Therefore, in tape system, and using an inductive head, it becomes necessary to use some form of electronic equalization in order to correct errors in the signal, resulting from any variations in the speed of the tape. In addition, because of their bulkiness, they become difficult to implement in applications where high packing densities (video tapes) or multi-track system (computer tapes) are used. A new generation of heads have been developed. The heads use the magneto-resistive effect for the read operation and a simplified inductive approach for the write operation.
- ItemTwo Methods for the Evaluation of Six Disinfectants Using Pseudomonas Aeruginosa and Serratia Marcescens as the Test Organisms(1986) Yahya R. FaydiA total of 50 isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and 6 isolates of Serratia Marcescens from various clinical specimens were used in this study. The action of various commercial disinfectants on these isolates was studied using the agar and broth dilution methods. All S. Marcescens strains were inhibited by. 0.15% 0-syl or 0.44% Savlon. While P. aeruginosa strains were inhibited by 0.3% 0-syl or 0.88% Savlon. Both organisms were inhibited by 0.65% Westaspet, 0.125% Phenol, 0.5% Acriflavin or 0.25% Micro - Bac.
- ItemPollution Levels of Drinking Water in Nablus(1987) H.S. Hilal; R. Salim; Z. QattawiMetal concentrations in drinking water used in Nablus have been studied. Samples from houses located in various districts of Nablus have been collected between Dec. 22, 1985, and Jan. 19, 1986, acidified and then analyzed for their metal content of the elements lead, copper, zinc, nickel, iron, manganese, calcium and magnesium using flame atomic absorption spectroscopy with an acetylene-air flame The results showed that the concentrations of lead, copper, nickel, iron and manganese were well below the safe limits. The concentrations of both zinc and magnesium were high but still below the maximum limit allowed in drinking water. The concentration of calcium was found always above the allowed limit. The effect of storing water in tanks (this is very common in Nablus) on the concentration of the above elements has been studied. The only effect found for storing water in tanks was a decrease in the concentration of zinc from water. No effect was found for using sun-heaters on the concentrations of the above elements in water.
- ItemPyridylazo Compounds As Analytical Reagents: A Review(1987)A large number of 2-pyridylazo compounds have been proposed as reagents for the spectrophotometric determination of several metal ions. The application of 2-pyridylazo compounds for the determination of many metal ions is listed and several procedures are described to illustrate the fundamental conditions for the spectrophotometric determination of these metal ions.
- ItemKinetic Study of the Complexation of Palladium (II) With 2-(5-Bromo-2-Pyridylazo)-5-Diethylaminophenol(1987) Bassem F. ShraydehThe kinetics of the complexation reaction of palladium with 2-(5-bromo-2-pyridylazo)-5-diethylaminophenol (5-Br-PADAP) has been studied in the stability time at the optimum pH of 3.53 in presence of 50% ethanol. The effect of ionic strength and temperature on the reaction rate were reported. A mechanism has been postulated and the stability constants of the individual steps were determined. The Arrhenius and thermodynamic parameters were evaluated and discussed.
- ItemThe Development of Rotylenchulus Reniformis and Tylenchulus Semipenetrans, on Grape Roots(1987) S.A. SultanThe results showed that the average numbers of eggs per an egg mass of R. Reniformis and T. Semipenetrans were 84 and 36 eggs, and the eggs hatched after 6 and 7 days respectively. The durations of the life cycle were 30 and 41 days, respectively. Life cycles were divided into migratory and sedentary phases. The migratory phase (soil phase) of R. reniformis was not parasitic and lasted for about 21 days; while that of T. semipenetrans was parasitic and lasted for about 31 days. The sedentary phase of both nematodes was parasitic and lasted for about 9 and 10 days for R. reniformis and T. semipenetrans respectively. Only the young females of R. reniformis were the infective stages; while all larval stages and young females of T. semipenetrans were able to penetrate root tissues.
- ItemBase Cleavage of Some Benzyl-Silicon and Tin Compounds in H2O-MeOH-Cyclodextrin Medium(1987) Foad M. S. MahmoudThe effects of oc - and f3- cyclodextrin (x - ,13- CD's) on the rates of base cleavage of 4 - CNC6 H4 SnMe3 ,3—CIC6 H4 CH2 MMe3 , 4 C1C6 H4 CH2— MMe3 and 3,5 - CL2 C6 H3 CH2 MMe3 with M = Si and Sn have been examined in H 2O - Me0H medium . oc - and 13-CD's accelerate the cleavage of the RSnMe3 compounds (R=3-0106 H4 CH2 , 4-0106 H4 CH2, and 3,5 - 01 2 C6H3 CH2 ) . There is no significant catalysis in the case of the corresponding silicon compounds.
- ItemThe Susceptibility of Twelve Grape Cultivars to Meloidogyne Incognita Acrita, Rotylenchulus Reniformis and Tylenchulus Semipenetrans(1987) S. A. SultanIn this study the susceptibility of 5 American cultivars (Delight, Fiesta, Freedom, Harmony and Ruby), 3 Egyptian cultivars (Baladi, Bez-Alanza, and Fayumi) and 4 Palestinian cultivars (Al-Zeiny, Black-Zeiny, Beitony and Chamey) were tested for the three nematode species. The results indicated that, the twelve grape cultivars were different in their susceptibility to each nematode species. Black-Zeiny and Ruby sustained the highest population densities of all these nematode species, whereas freedom and Harmony cultivars supported the lowest number of all nematode species. Chamey and Zeiny were good hosts of M. incognita; Delight and Fiesta were good for both R. reniformis and T. semipenetrans. Beitony was a good host for both M. incognita and T. semipenetrans but a poor host for R. reniformis Baladi, Bez-Alanza and Fayumi were moderate hosts for all the three nematode species. The results also indicated that some of these cultivars could be considered resistant to all three nematode species (c.v Harmony), or immune to M. incognita but resistant to others (c.v. Freedom) or resistant to M. incognita only c.v. Fiesta).
- ItemSpectrophotometric Studies and Analytical Application of Cerium (III) and Thorium (IV) Chelates with Pyridine-2-Aldehyde-2-Pyridylhydrazone (PAPH)(1987) Mohammad A. HannounCe (III) and Th (IV) reacts with pyridine-2—aldehyde-2—pyridylhydrazone in aqueous solutions containing 50 % ethanol at pH's 7.75 and 8.45 respectively. Beer's law is obeyed over the range 0.0-15.p.g and 0.0-18 ktg of cerium and thorium respectively. The proposed procedure is sensitive, since molar absorptivity is 2.56 x 10 4 and 3.60 X 10 4 1.mol -1 cm-1 for Ce (III) and Th (IV) respectively. The composition and stability of these complexes have been determined. The limitation of this procedure and the effect of other ions have been studied.
- ItemThe Use of Transition-Metal Complexes as Catalysts in Tertiary Silanes Reactions with Unsaturated Organic Compounds and Alcohol: A Review(1988) H. HilalThis review deals with reactions of tertiary silanes R3SiH with unsaturated organic compounds (e.g. alkanes, dienes, alkynes, ketones, and aldehydes) and with alcohols R'OH, using transition- metal complexes as catalysts. Due to the bulk of relevant literature, special attention has been given to mechanistic aspects of the roles of the catalyst in the reaction. Main references which appeared in the period l960-1986, have been reviewed.